Washing machines are firmly in the life of modern man, greatly simplifying the care of things. Even a device with a minimal set of functions is able to wash not only clothes but also many household items that you may have cleaned by hand before. Let’s take a closer look at what can be washed in the washing machine and what you can’t do, and what rules should be followed to keep the appliances out of order.
What can be washed in a washing machine?
The list of items that tolerate machine washing is very large. Nevertheless, different models of household appliances have their own technical features, which need to be taken into account. As a rule, manufacturers specify in the instructions an approximate list of things that can be washed in the machine. Just because you don’t find a product on this list that needs to be washed doesn’t mean you have to do everything by hand. Here’s an approximate list of things that can be washed in the machine, but with certain rules.
Most likely, the instructions to the machine will indicate that it is not designed for washing shoes. However, this rule can be violated, but within reason. Is it possible to wash sneakers and other shoes in the washing machine? As practice shows, machine washing is well-tolerated fabric slippers, sneakers, ballet shoes, slippers, slippers, as well as some models of demi-season boots (for example, depicts). Sneakers are also included in this list. In addition, you can wash children’s, summer and beach shoes. Machine washing is better hand-cleaned inside and out.
However, some types of shoes can get spoiled. You can’t wash in the car:
- Natural leather and suede products;
- Lacquered shoes or shoes with lacquer inserts;
- Boots on natural or artificial fur;
- models with rhinestones, sequins, embroidery with lurex and other decorations;
- products you doubt (with damaged seams or soles).
Rules of washing shoes in the washing machine:
- First, you need to clean the sole of dirt and sand. Otherwise, the technique may fail.
- From the shoes, you need to get the insoles and remove the shoelaces. If you do not do this, the first can deform, and the second – get stuck in the rubber cuff.
- Before laying in the drum shoes are placed in a special wash bag. If you do not have such a device, you can use an old pillowcase. In order to avoid unnecessary noise during the operation of the technique, a bath towel can be put in the drum.
- If your car doesn’t have Shoes, choose Delicate Wash. The water temperature should be about 30 to 40oC.
- It is best to buy a special remedy for washing. But if it was not at hand, you can use liquid soap or composition for washing dishes.
- If you need a push-up mode, put low speeds. But drying after machine washing is better not to use, because the products must first straighten, and then dry.
Puffers and jackets
Many owners of outerwear with a lining of synthpop, polyester, natural fluff or other material already have a bad experience of washing such products in the machine-machine. Most likely, the thing was spoiled because of the dumped filler. However, this is not a reason to become a regular customer of dry cleaning or to give up light products.
Is it possible to wash a jacket or a down jacket in a washing machine? Yes, but only if certain rules are followed.
- First, you need to examine the labels of things and find signs that indicate whether you can use machine washing or not.
- Before washing the down jacket you need to prepare: zip up all the zippers and buttons, check the contents of the pockets and turn it inside out.
- To ensure that there are no divorces left, it is better to use a liquid remedy rather than a powder.
- Acceptable modes: “Pooh blanket,” “Delicate wash,” “Hand wash.” The temperature should most often not exceed 40oC.
- To prevent the filler from being brought down, it is recommended to put a 2/3 special wash ball in the drum.
- Once the washing machine is finished, you need to check whether there are any traces of detergent and foam left on the items. If necessary, you can use an additional “Strip” mode.
- The press is exposed at low revs, from drying the down jacket in the drum is better to refuse.
Bedding needs special care. Perhaps everyone knows that they need to be ventilated and dried in the sun from time to time. But is it possible to wash blankets in the washing machine? Yes, and it should be done regularly, as the filler over time accumulates dust and creates favourable conditions for the reproduction of dust mites, microbes and saprophytes. The specifics of the care of the product will depend on its size and material.
Here are general rules to consider before you put the blanket in the wash:
- If you are buying a new item, ask the seller if it can be washed. If you can, then at what mode.
- Consider the size of the blanket. The product should be placed in the drum of the washing machine. If it has to be very tightly rammed, then this idea is better to refuse, so as not to damage the technique.
- To distribute the load evenly on the walls of the drum, the blanket is folded with a snail.
- The washing machine’s mode of operation is a “fluffy blanket.” If your technique does not provide it, choose a careful wash.
- The push-off should be performed at low speeds (800 rpm).
- Special balls can be used when washing a duvet.
Many are convinced that this beware should be changed from time to time, not washed, because after washing it can not be properly dried. In fact, and at home it is possible to organize the right care for such things. Is it possible to wash a pillow in a washing machine? Yes, but it will take more time and effort than in the case of the same blanket.
Features of bedding will depend on the material of the filler:
- Pooh/feather, as well as their combinations. First, the pillow will have to be carefully cut on the seam and remove the filler. The pooh and feather should be divided into several parts, place them in separate cloth bags and wash. The filler can then be dried on a tray at room temperature and placed back in a pillowcase.
- Pillows from hollofaiber, synthpop, bamboo fibre can be washed whole at 30-40oC and low revs when pressed.
- Additional rinse is required.
Washing toys is a pressing issue for families with children. This procedure is required for all children’s things, even those that many do not think about. So, you can wash not only soft but also rubber and plastic toys for the bath. It is recommended to use liquid powder for children’s things. It is desirable to pack the toy in a laundry bag. The temperature and revs of the push-up are minimal.
You can not wash in the car toys with non-removable musical mechanisms and a lot of jewellery. Products made of natural fur or delicate fabrics (silk, satin) are better given to dry cleaning.
If you think that a bright toy can shed during washing, then it can be checked. It is enough to take a cotton disc soaked in alcohol and rub a piece of cloth or fur. If the disc is left clean, the toy can be washed. In addition, many products also have passports and labels with care recommendations.
Bathroom curtains and plastic tablecloths
Is it possible to wash thin synthetic materials in the washing machine? Yes, it’s allowed. The main thing is to remember that you need a low temperature, a gentle mode and no pressing.
Bathroom curtains, plastic tablecloths and napkins should be regularly washed, as they accumulate pollution, which can cause bacteria to multiply and the appearance of an unpleasant odor.
Machine wash is well-tolerated fabric covers for prams, baskets and other devices for walking with kids. As a rule, they are made of durable wear-resistant materials. You can’t wash eco-skinned and PVC products.
If there is strong contamination on the fabric, the case is better to pre-soak or wash. It is recommended to use liquid baby powder for washing. Temperature is 30 to 40oC, pressing at minimum speeds, rinsing necessarily.
Hats and baseball caps
Before washing, you need to see what material is made of the headdress. So, caps and baseball caps with visors from cardboard can not be erased, otherwise, they will fail. Hats in most cases are also not designed for machine washing, except for soft fabrics.
Before washing the product must be packed in a special bag or shape, which will prevent friction on the walls of the machine and help to preserve the appearance. The temperature is minimal, the mode is gentle, the press is excluded, it is desirable to use a detergent liquid and in minimal quantities.
Bags and backpacks
Any things you walk down the street with need care. Children’s and adult bags must be regularly cleaned or washed. Before loading into the washing machine it is important to completely clean the cavity from things and shake or vacuum the crumbs. If there are stains, they are pre-washed.
Before washing, it is important to examine the label of the bag. If it is not available, make sure that there is no frame of cardboard. Leather and suede products are not subject to washing. Otherwise, the recommendations will be the same as in the case of baseball caps.
After washing the backpack or bag will lose water repellent properties, if they were. If this is important to you, treat the dry thing with a special spray.
Yoga and bath mats
The flooring in the bathroom is constantly exposed to high humidity, accumulating pollution and foreign odors. Yoga mats are also contaminated. You can wash these products in the machine, in compliance with all the conditions designated for the bathroom blinds.
If the mats do not fit in the drum, it is preferable to hand wash, so as not to damage the technique. Old and crumbling products are better rinsed under running water or replaced in a timely manner.
Lying for pets
Litter for cats and dogs over time are covered with a layer of wool and absorb foreign smells, so they need to be cleaned regularly. Modern pet beds are usually made with removable covers that can be washed.
Small pillows for pets are erased entirely if they are freely placed in the drum. The mode must be chosen according to the type of fabric. As a rule, the material of the covers is cotton with different impurities, so high temperatures are allowed.
What can’t be washed in a washing machine?
Above, we have listed unusual things and items for which machine washing is suitable when certain rules are followed. This is an extensive list that will make it easier to work around the house. We considered that in the washing machine you can wash sneakers, jackets, blankets, pillows and other things. And now here is a list of things that you can’t handle like this:
- lace, thin tulle (including lace inserts);
- clothing with voluminous rhinestones, beads and other decorations (they may be damaged);
- Things made of natural leather and fur;
- cashmere and wool coats, jackets, plaids (mixed fabrics can be washed);
- bags and backpacks with a frame of cardboard;
- rubberized mats (can quickly dissipate);
- designer furniture cases (may deform or sit down);
- things with pet hair (can be ent machine with machine filter);
- orthopaedic pillows (products may lose their properties);
- things with a strong hard-to-remove odour (e.g. gasoline, kerosene, fuel oil);
- waterproof fabrics (can disable the machine);
- small things like baby socks and mittens (you can, if there will be a lot of them and they will be stacked in the case for washing, that is, will not score the hoses of the machine).
We hope this information will be useful for you and will help you save time and effort when doing homework.